After a couple of fundraising events and countless late night meetings amongst parents in the Kiwanis Parents Support Group (PSG), now it’s time for action.
For those who have never heard of this P7 initiative, it is actually driven by parents of Down Syndrome (DS) kids schooling at Kiwanis Down Syndrome Foundation (KDSF)-National Centre to set up a primary level education for DS children as a continuity from existing KDSF programs, which only caters until 6 years old.
With the target to start off the classes by end of 2009, P7 Committee is now busy with preparation works, in terms of:
1) Project 7 Blueprint for the future
2) Website development (http://mydownsyndrome.org/), which Sabrina now is the Admin.
2) Teacher recruitment
3) Curricullum development
4) Teaching aids preparations
5) Classroom refurbishment
6) More fund raising activities to sponsor the project
Based on yearly budgeting, there is a pressing need to raise a minimum amount of RM150,000 per annum to kick-start and sustain this program. So far we have only collected around RM50,000.
One fundraising activity lined up in the near future is the Kiwanis Charity Food and Funfair which will be held at KDSF National Centre on Saturday, 8th August 2009.
As a parent, I would like to ask your donation in kind or cash to support this noble cause. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any enquiries on this matter.
Kindly visit our website, MyDownsyndrome.Org to:
1) get an overview of what are we doing
2) what kind of donation/help that we need
3) get the latest update on our fundraising activities
4) offer your assistance as a volunteer
5) Follow and support our journey in P7
Please also read my journey with Arif Uthmani in this blog. You can click at the DS Category to find stories related to my Down Syndrome child. However it’s mostly written in Bahasa Melayu.